Thursday, May 1, 2014

Goodbye my lover


 I made a big decision a little while ago.
I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show
That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential
Even though it often might appear inconsequential.

I must have been distracted when I left my home because
Left or right I'm sure I went. (I wonder which it was!)
Anyway, I never veered: I walked in that direction
Utterly absorbed it seems, in quiet introspection.

For no reason I can think of, I've wandered far astray.
And that is how I got to where I find myself today.

The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes (Bill Watterson)


This will be most likely my last post for this blog since my time here in Iceland is coming slowly but surely to an end. I still have two weeks left here but those will be filled with two different visitors so I won't be much anymore in Reykjavík and just traveling around (yay!).

Before coming to Iceland I heard all these stories about how great and beautiful this country is. Nobody ever had anything to complain about, everybody just had fallen head over heels in love with this country. I always thought "C'mon....there's no place in the world that's THAT great." As it turns out, it is that great and even much better. I've also fallen deeply in love with this unique country and feel like crying by the thought of having to start packing today. And as it is usually with love, you can't say why you are in love. You just are.
Iceland inspires you, it makes you stay in your room for days and just read books. It makes you feel like the biggest person in the world and then again you feel so small and unimportant. This country fills you with a deep feeling of content but also melancholy. You feel like you have become much wiser but in the end you don't know anything yet.
It's Iceland. Where the logic being used by the rest of the world is inexistent. Where the rain never comes down vertically. Where everybody is a musician/writer/artist.  Where you'll run into Björk at the local pharmacy. Where strangers will offer you a ride home on a rainy day. Where everyone will have a smile for you. Where you'll have your breath taken away around each new corner. Where houses are built for elves. Where you have more cats than dogs in the streets. Where the winter days are short but the summer days endless. Where it's trendy to knit and wear a wool sweater. Where you can swim in natural hot springs in the middle of nowhere.
Where you will fall in love with the country.

Blessuð sértu, sveitin mín, 
sumar, vetur, ár og daga. 
Engið, fjöllin, áin þín, 
yndislega sveitin mín, 
heilla mig og heim til sín
huga minn úr fjarlægð draga. 
Blessuð sértu, sveitin mín, 
sumar, vetur, ár og daga. 


No comments:

Post a Comment